Friday, November 5, 2010

Isla Mujeres!

On Wednesday, we took a day trip across the Bay to Isla Mujeres.  The company that handled our transportation to and from the airport also set us up with this excursion through AquaWorld, the local water sports and events group.  On a side note, when I was here ten years ago, AquaWorld also certified me to scuba down to depths of like 50 feet, a certification card I still have.

We left at 9:30 in the morning, although we were up at 5:15 thanks to Adam's lack of attention to detail regarding time zones and alarm clocks.  There is a two hour time difference between this portion of Mexico and the rest of our lives.  In my defense, well...  I've got nothing.

We rode over to the Island on an Aqua Twister 3, a speed boat that holds 16 passengers plus the drivers.  The captain played club music on the trip there... actually club music (all with the same beat) played almost all day long while whe were on the island.  



The first thing we did on the island was snorkel.  Yes, Brienne went snorkeling.  But my mouth piece didn't fit me right so I just held my breath and came up for air frequently.  I still got to see some fish, but not as much as Adam.  Unfortunately, we did not have a water camera, so we didn't get any pictures of the fish.  But the colors weren't as vibrant as you might expect, so the pictures probably wouldn't be that great anyway. 



We had a buffet for lunch and lots of margaritas, tequila sunrises, and beer.  Then we were off to explore the island on a golf cart.  The island is 5 miles long, and most people get around on scooters and golf carts. 


We went to a sea turtle farm, where they are working to help save this endangered species. 




We drove to the light house and took some pictures from the top of the light house.  We stopped for some ice cream. 


Then we drove to the northern side of the island for some shopping in the down town area before we re-boarded the Aqua Twister at 4:00 to ride back to our resort.  On the way back, the captain showed us what the Aqua Twister could do (lots of sharp turns and circles).  I might have been holding on for dear life and screaming....

Wednesday night dinner was at the Lobster House... the best dinner we've had since we got here.  We, of course, had the lobster for dinner.  We both ordered our lobster grilled.  I had the tarragon cream sauce, and Adam tried the chipotle butter on his.  I may have had another coconut margarita... after my chocolate martini. 



That's it and that's all for day three.  Over the next few days, we plan on doing a little more relaxing and reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment